Top 5 Summer Party Tips
Summer, the season of ice creams, hot dogs and PARTIES. Even the slightest hint of sunshine and we’re hanging up the bunting and inviting our nearest and dearest round to celebrate with a bottle (or two) of bubbly.
To make sure we’re 100% prepared for the next stretch of nice weather (hint hint rain), we caught up with Claudia Baillie – Interiors Editor of the Sunday Times Style – to get her tops tips on how to throw the ultimate summer soiree.
1. A theme can help pull a party together, the more colourful and fun the better. At the moment I’m loving the Mexican vibe, with colourful paper bunting, cacti and piñatas. Or why not create your own Club Tropicana with flamingos, palm trees, watermelons and pineapples?
2. Music is a must to get the party started so make sure you’ve got a good sound system or powerful portable speaker. Create a bespoke playlist – you can even match your song titles to your theme. Alternatively, get your guests to send you three songs in advance so everyone gets to enjoy a favourite tune.
3. When it comes to outdoor lighting, think low key but lots of it. More is more, and it doesn’t have to blow the budget either. Hang strings of festoon or fairy lights in trees, and group jam jars or simple lanterns with tea lights on tables, or place rows up steps and down paths.
4. Keep kids amused with some garden activities so the grown ups have some time to relax. Good old fashioned egg and spoon and sack races are lots of fun, or splash out on a couple of super-sized outdoor games like skittles, giant four-in-a-row or jumbo pick up sticks.
5. Minimise tidy up time with disposable plates, cups and cutlery. There are loads of fun designs to choose from – pick paper plates, treat boxes and wooden knives and forks that can all be recycled. A big galvanised bin next to the table allows everything to be swept in as you go – put the lid straight on to deter any insects.