Head of Copy
Reporting to: Creative Director
Location: Richmond, London
What We Need
We’re looking for a Head of Copy to join our busy creative team. An expert in your field, you’ll hone and develop the company’s tone of voice and apply it to our site, marketing materials, and communications to our sellers, consistently generating great copy across the board. We need a writer who can take a genuinely fresh approach to language and copywriting – we try to avoid the same old techniques and styles, and we definitely don’t do puns. So, from headlines to sales content, your work should be clear, concise and accurate, and you should have an innate understanding of how to use language in the most innovative yet effective way in order to engage our target markets. You’ll also develop, express and instil the aspirations and ideals of the company through the written word, mentoring others within the company to also produce impactful, brand-led copy.
What You’ll Do
- Define, articulate and instil our brand tone of voice across all customer and seller touch points
- Create consistent, on-brand copy across a wide range of media, including catalogues, emails, marketing communications, b2b and internal communications
- Develop copy concepts, from larger seasonal campaigns to quick turnaround market response projects
- In conjunction with the Creative Production Manager and Proofreader, manage the production, quality and workflow of all copy throughout the business
- Ensure every word we communicate has been checked and proofread to perfection
- Collaborate with internal teams and develop processes that improve product copy from our seller community
- Build a network of freelance copywriters to support the business during peak periods, liaising with recruitment agencies where necessary and working within budgetary constraints
- Work with pride, becoming a standard-bearer for copy and copy-led ideas within the business.
What You’ll Bring
- A minimum of eight years’ writing and/or editing experience, with at least three years spent in direct response copy management, ideally within a multi-channel environment
- A fantastic portfolio, with examples of campaigns and content from either a copywriting and/or editorial background
- The ability to write for both b2c and b2b audiences, including longer copy as well as ads and emails
- Proficiency in interrogating a brief and translating it into great copy
- Familiarity with CRM, including writing variations for audience segmentation
- A clear understanding of online copywriting, particularly creating search engine-friendly content
- People management skills, offering clear direction and coaching for team members
- Familiarity with localisation requirements for international organisations
- Prior experience of marketplace and retail environments would be preferable
- A university degree, preferably in English or another Arts subject.
You will be a master wordsmith, using clever, well-considered language to articulate the essence of the brand. You may have earned your stripes in the digital and direct marketing industry or alternatively be from a press, editorial or magazine background – it doesn’t matter to us too much, as long as you can write brilliantly. You’re so passionate about your craft it’s infectious to those you work with, making the written word one of the most valuable assets of the business. You love to toss around ideas and collaborate, creating truly inspiring work as part of a team. You should be both leader and mentor, excited about every challenge and opportunity that this fast-growing business has to offer.
Who You’ll Work With
Reporting to the Creative Director, you’ll be working as part of the wider creative team, which comprises approximately 10 web and print designers, art directors and production specialists. You will also work closely with the Head of Brand, marketing team and other senior stakeholders on a daily basis. This role touches every part of the business, offering support and guidance to individuals in other teams who help to create copy. We share a friendly, open-plan office with other business disciplines, including marketing, merchandising and finance teams, as well as senior management.
If you think you can make a difference to our sellers, our customers and our company, we’d love to hear from you. Please send your CV and portfolio (URL) along with a covering letter and an indication of the salary you’re looking for to email@example.com.