Reporting to: Chief Operating Officer
Location: Richmond, London
We’re looking for a talented and experienced Technical Director to join our Leadership team to lead the strategic vision and direction across development and technology as we scale our global e-commerce marketplace platform. This is a critical leadership role in the business, as technology and innovation drives the execution of our business goals.
- Lead a growing team of 30+ in-house engineers to develop and scale the technology platform of the business.
- Define the architectural strategy for the platform that aligns with the long term business goals
- Champion technology across the business, at board level and throughout the teams
- Execute the technology roadmap in partnership with a product management function through Agile processes
- Hire and develop a world class engineering team fit to scale.
- Support and maintain robust platforms that support millions of customers, thousands of partners, hundreds of employees worldwide.
- Engage and immerse the technology team in the broader business vision to maintain full alignment across the company.
This role reports to the COO and is a critical leadership role within the business that sits as part of the senior management team. You’ll work across the business at all levels to understand needs and champion technology as a solution for those needs. The role is diverse and needs a strong communicator who can seamlessly switch from a conversation with a developer about problem solving, to a debate with a marketeer about customers, to a presentation to the board about strategy.
Desired Skills & Experience
Our Technical Director will be passionate about growing and scaling teams, tools, platforms and processes. They will be excited about delivering business goals through technology and innovation. They will thrive on operating at pace, dealing with and adapting to change. They will immerse themselves in understanding and delivering customers’ needs. They will naturally seek partnership and transparency across the business. They will be as passionate and excited about high quality software as our development team, seeking to embed quality, robust solutions through all disciplines, to all business challenges. They will be insistent on creating and maintaining high performance teams who take accountability and ownership.
- Proven experience of operating technology platforms at scale
- Mature leadership qualities, from team engagement and performance, to board level communication
- Deep development background, preferably including Ruby On Rails experience
- Strength in delivering value with transparency through Agile processes
- International experience, having developed platforms with a global mindset
- Comfortable with multi-language platforms, managing multiple streams across in-house, near shore, offshore teams, outsourced development
- Experience across technology, infrastructure, architecture, IT, managing all functions including Development, Dev-Ops, QA, UX, IT
- Wealth of Ecommerce experience, managing B2C and preferably B2B platforms, with an understanding of marketplace models a plus
- Excellent communicator and strong business partner, with strong commercial mindset and business acumen
If you think you have the required skills and experience to make a difference to our business, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org, with a covering note, your CV and an indication of your salary expectations.